Friday 6 December 2013

My first softie!

I've been wanting to have a go at making a softie for ages, eyeing off cute patterns for a good couple of years now. I decided this might be the perfect idea for special gifts for the kids for Christmas this year. For Sofia, I chose to do Lola the Ladybug by Melly & Me... what do you think?


Lola is available as either a regular pattern or as a panel. As it was my first attempt at a softie, I thought the panel would be the better option so I ordered one directly from Melly & Me. It definitely made life easy as you just cut out the pieces as you go (no tracing!), all the markings are pre-printed, and I found the instructions really easy to follow.


I decided to hand sew the tummy patch rather than machine sew it as the instructions suggested. I did this so that I could use a nice bright cotton and get that hand-sewn blanket stitch look.


As a finishing touch, a crocheted flower is recommended. I am yet to learn the art of crochet but a lovely friend from craft group whipped up a gorgeous flower for me to add to Lola... the colours are perfect!


As I was sewing either on days that Alex is at childcare or while both kids sleep, it took me a few days to complete, but I'm really happy with the final product. Lola had a bit of an explore in the garden this afternoon...


Talking about my garden... I'm discovering some gorgeous flowers planted by a previous owner, and enjoying bringing some inside. Aren't these just lovely?!



Now to get cracking Alex's present: pattern has been selected, fabric purchased, now to just get some time to start sewing... all within the next 18 sleeps before Christmas! Wish me luck.

Until next time x

1 comment: