Sunday 17 January 2016

It only took nearly 4 years...

It's done! Can you believe it?! I finally finished the quilt I started for Alex back when he was one. I started cutting fabrics for this project back in April 2012 after having searched high and low for the best pattern for my baby boy, and put the final stitches in during December 2015 (and yes, only just getting around to blogging about it).


Australian designer Anni Downs' pattern "A Boy's Story" was perfect, and I decided to stay fairly true to the colours she had used. By the time I was ready to put a backing on the quilt, Anni Downs had released a fabric range based on this pattern - so of course that was the natural choice for both the backing and binding. (On the label, 'Mami' is mummy is spanish for those curious!)


The applique, piecing and stitcheries took awhile. Lots happened in my life while making this quilt (a move overseas, a move back to Australia, another baby, going back to work, a further move interstate...) but let's face it, I also just got bored of it at times! The amount of times I said I'd finish it by a certain date and then I'd have to move the goalpost again and again.


I took Anni's recommendation in the pattern and hand-quilted this project, and I love the effect. I'm really happy with how this quilt has ended up. Alex also loves it which is the main thing!



So happy to finally have this one finished and actually on Alex's bed :)

Until next time x

No comments:

Post a Comment