Friday 21 June 2013

More batik, a quilt, and a cold change

With only 8 weeks to go (plus or minus!) until bubba arrives, I returned to Australia - more specifically Tasmania - at the beginning of this week. What a temperature change from Bali!! It's been a rather miserable week in terms of drizzle, and the colder climate might take a bit of adjusting... time to get stuck into hand quilting perhaps?!

Before leaving Bali, I organised to do another batik-making class. This time it was a private lesson with the same instructor as last time (Nyoman Deking) but at his home. It was a great experience, with his set-up in his garden, and the lesson fee including a delicious lunch! It was much more affordable than going through the hotel like last time, and I feel I got more out of it. Pak Deking is happy to teach you one-on-one, or he can have large groups at his home. If you're visiting Bali and are interested in this type of experience, I would highly recommend contacting Pak Deking!

Pak Deking had prepared for me a design to match the one I did last time. It was great doing the class again knowing what was coming, and I was also lead through some more advanced techniques!! Here is my design after I had applied the bees-wax (which is step 1 of the process):


 Then then next type of wax then goes over the background areas, then the process of applying the colour. Here is my finished piece:


I'm really happy with how it turned out! And talking about batik fabric... remember how I blogged about going batik fabric shopping when Mum and Judy were here? Well, as promised I've actually made something with some of the stash I bought!! I made a relatively quick quilt - 'stack and crack' pattern - and even machine-quilted it myself! First time for everything I guess :) What do you think of the final product?


All that needs to be done for a finish is hand sewing the binding down - a perfect job for Tassie's cooler climate!!

Until next time x

2 comments:

  1. Hi this is nice.
    i love batik!

    www.blossombatik.com
    www.blossombatik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks great :)

    ReplyDelete